Tlingit Russian War
In the late 18th century, Russian traders under Alexander Baranov conscripted Alutiiq and Unangan men to hunt sea otters in Southeast Alaska. In 1799, Baranov bartered for the right to establish a fortified trading post at Sitka, which was completed in 1800. In 1802, Tlingit and Haida warriors from different clans and villages, united in their resentment of Russian abuses, launched a surprise attack on the Russian fort at Sitka. A Russian outpost at Yakutat was destroyed at about the same time. After driving the Russians from the fort at Sitka, the local Kiks.ádi clan built their own fort at Indian River.
The second battle in 1804 was in response to the 1802 incident. Russians attacked the fort in an effort to re-establish their trading post. The Tlingits hoped for reinforcements from other villages, which never came. Faced with a naval bombardment and a larger force of Russian and Alutiiq fighters, the Kiks.ádi left secretly by night, retreating to Point Craven in Peril Strait, where they built another fort. Meanwhile, the Russians rebuilt their settlement at Sitka. The Sitka National Historical Park was eventually established to preserve the 1804 battleground and site of the Tlingit fort, and to commemorate the events associated with Tlingit resistance to Russian colonization.